[ccpw id="33263"]


T.I Ukende
views : 30


One Chicago police officer is dead and another is fighting for his life after they were shot while conducting a traffic stop Saturday night, officials said.

Three suspects are in custody, Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said at a news conference Sunday.

“These officers put the safety and lives of others above their own, serving with courage and honor despite knowing the cost,” he said in an earlier statement. “We will never forget the sacrifices these officers made to protect this city. We cannot forget.”

Three officers assigned to the department’s Community Safety Team were conducting a traffic stop on a vehicle with three occupants near 63rd Street and South Bell Avenue at around 9 p.m. Saturday when they were fired upon, Brown said at the news conference.T

he officers returned fire, and two officers were struck in the exchange of gunfire, Brown said. One of the “offenders” was also hit and taken to a local hospital, he said.

The officers were rushed to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where one of them — later identified as 29-year-old Ella French — died. The other officer, who has been with the department for six years, is in critical condition and “fighting for his life,” Brown said.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot declared Sunday a day of mourning in the city, requesting all flags be flown at half-staff.

“Tragedy has struck again,” she said. “We mourn the loss of a young officer.”

A weapon was recovered at the scene, Brown said. All three occupants of the vehicle were in custody Sunday morning after police located the female suspect, who was initially missing.

Based on preliminary information, Brown said, police believe it was a male passenger who opened fire on the officers. The suspects don’t have extensive criminal backgrounds, Brown said.

Police were interviewing the suspects Sunday morning. None of them had yet been charged.

The officers were wearing body cameras and the department is reviewing footage of the incident, Brown said.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability is investigating the incident, police said in a statement. Officers involved “will be placed on routine administrative duties for a period of 30 days.”

Share This Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts